Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kids Lily Pad Tutorial

Once a week our little family formally gathers together to sing songs, plan, pray, play games and eat refreshments. Sounds lovely doesn't it. With 4 kids under the age of 5, doing this is no small feat. The first few times we tried to do this the kids were running everywhere, not paying attention, jumping up and down, fighting over the color pink (not something pink, just the color pink), you get the gist. Enough to drive anyone nuts. This started me thinking about carpet squares (you know, those smelly carpet samples that they use during library time and in preschools) and how the kids needed an assigned spot to sit during our family time together. The result, were these! Fast and easy to whip up and the kids LOVE them. They actually sat still for more than 30 seconds. Genius. So I thought I would share a little tutorial. My kids call them their "lily pads". (I guess I gave birth to tadpoles.) BUT, before I start, I had one criteria for this project. I had to use fabric that has been in my stash for at least a year. (I'm trying to use some of the oldies up). And taking pictures of my ironing board FORCED me to make a new cover. Which I did using this tutorial (so stinkin' easy). I like my new cover much better. But I digress...on to the tutorial!!

What you need for 1 Lily Pad:

2 15x15 pieces of fabric

1 15x15 piece of muslin (optional)

1 15x15 piece of warm and natural or other cotton quilt batting

1 Print 'n Press iron transfer sheet for light fabrics (completely optional) You could leave it blank or cut out a fabric letter to monogram. (optional)

sewing supplies (thread, sewing machine, iron)

1) I used this handy dandy compass that I got at Target on clearance, to draw a circle with the radius of about 7 inches. You could go larger if you wanted. I just made it as wide as it would go and used that as my radius. I then cut out a pattern piece using 15x15 square of muslin (gosh, I love that stuff).

Optional Step 1a) If you want to add a silhouette or monogram, you can add it now. For a great tutorial on printing out your silhouette click here. If you want to add a letter then you would trace your letter onto the back of a piece of wunder under or heat & bond (make sure you trace the mirror image), then transfer with an iron to the wrong side of your fabric, let it cool, then peel off the back and transfer with your iron onto the front of your fabric. Straight stitch or satin stitch around the letter. (Let me know if you want a more comprehensive tutorial on this. I do these a lot for the superhero backpacks in my Etsy shop.

2) Layer your two fabrics and your batting in this order: batting, 1st fabric right side up, 2nd fabric, right side down. Put the pattern piece on the very top of your "sandwich")and then cut to size. (I cut out more than one here & the batting isn't shown...oops)

3) Pin, pin, pin! Pin around the circle.

4) Sew, sew, sew! Sew all the way around using a 3/8 seam allowance and leaving an opening approximately 3 inches wide.

5) Turn your lily pad right side out and with your fingers work out the seam so the seams are nice and flat. Iron. Pin the opening.

6) Top stitch around the lily pad. My machine does decorative stitches, so I did a different stitch on the outside for each of the lily pads. The kids loved that touch. Even my older Janome Decor Excel 5018 has some decorative stitches.



Disclaimer: This is my first tutorial ever and I learned a lot about pictures and taking pictures of the steps etc. I hope you can still follow this :) :)

Baby is awake. Gotta jet. Stay tuned for more crazy stuff as I sew in-between everything else I'm doing!!

Janna

Weekend Bloggy Reading

7 comments:

  1. You clever girl, you! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super duper cute as usual, and good job on the tutorial! I think it would be neat to do a silhouette of my dogs on some new dogbeds. BTW - I bought the same compass on clearance at Target! I love scavanging for classroom supplies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janna, those are gorgeous!! Such clean, crisp silhouettes too. You did a great job with the tutorial. :)

    Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Hope you find some great reads, and come visit Serenity Now again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are ADORABLE! Much cuter than carpet squares!

    Visiting from Serenity Now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tutorial and great idea. I love the silloquettes!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Thank you for sharing. By the way, I have a contest giveaway on my blog you might find fun. Take a look. triumphandtears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea. I love the silhouettes. thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete