Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm a Nicey Jane Noodlehead!!

If you have not checked out Noodlehead's blog you are missing out!!! She has fabulous tutorials. I also have sooooooooo much Nicey Jane Fabric that I've been hording and decided to use some of it.

Last July, I used this tutorial to make these gathered clutches. I made them into wristlets by adding a little handle.


Aren't these perfect. I remember making them so vividly because my Etsy shop had been really busy and after getting caught up I had a couple free nights, so I made these. One for my mom, for her birthday (here's a post on what I made for her the previous year). I also sent one to my best friend and sewing buddy. One of those, "just because" gifts.

Okay, but here's what I made this morning. I am so happy with it. Although I can not find a nail and hammer to hang it....my husband cleaned out the garage and I can't find anything!! ;)


It's a great tutorial, but I do want to add a few notes.
It took me quite a while to figure out how to print the pattern piece. She has it set as a 12x14 document, however my printer only prints 8.5x11. So, I just played around with the printer settings and eventually printed out 3 or 4 sections of the pattern and then put them together.

So as I started I realized the only stapler I have is this one.


Luckily, I did find this bad boy in the garage!


Ahhh... much better! Here are some pointers for the tutorial:

1) You don't really need 4 inches extra around the edges. 3 inches would be plenty.

2) Also, as you can probably tell by my pictures, I didn't get the brackets quite centered. This could be remedied by sewing them on at the very end.

3) Before I glued the pockets on, I would sew around the edges of the pocket pieces. This will make gluing to the canvas much easier. I also sewed the raw edges that would be on the inside like this.

I folded it over a 1/4 inch, pressed, then another 1/4 inch. Pressed. Then sewed it. It just makes the inside a little neater.

That's it folks! I can't wait to hang it in my butler's pantry which is where I take care of all my mail, papers etc. I know it sounds fancy, but it's really just part of my kitchen, next to the pantry.

Okay...stay tuned for a giveaway!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. It probably needs to be put on my list. Wonderful fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with nicey Jane and Noodlehead too! Cute stuff you're making!

    ReplyDelete